Friday, August 9, 2013

Friday Night Random Post

Is it still World Breastfeeding Week, or whatever? Because I do tend to talk about breastfeeding and my breasts quite a bit, but not this week. Yet.

I'm still breastfeeding. Bebe will be 10 months old next week. I am still pumping at work, but down to one pumping per day, in the afternoon. It is much more tolerable this way, plus J is eating a lot of food and starting to lose interest in daytime feedings anyway. But I have a lot of milk in the freezer, so...naturally...I started thinking...that I want to make cheese out of my breastmilk.

I know that some people might find this to be really gross. But my question is: Why? What could be grosser than drinking milk from a cow? (Drinking milk from a human.)

I have to be honest, though, when J was just born and I tried the milk I thought it was super gross. It had like this soapy taste to me. I thought it smelled weird too. But over time, I don't know if I just got used to it, or if the taste actually changed, or what, but now I think it smells like nothing and pretty much tastes the same way. So maybe it wouldn't make good cheese. But, I have to also confess to sticking my nose in a bottle with milk residue that had been left for a day or two, with the lid on. And it smelled like delicious, pungent cheese. I agree this is a little gross. But you have to agree that it's only gross in our heads, especially if we eat cheese made from the milk of other animals and think it's delicious.

I thought the last kerfuffle over this was over two years ago, but it seems to have cropped up again with the locavore movement. I will still be blogging about my new products, so stayed tuned.




1 comment:

  1. I think breastmilk smells sweet and kind of delicious! But I could also see the soapy-ness--somehow it smells clean to me. I haven't really tasted it, though. I wonder about cheese... too funny.

    ReplyDelete