Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Tomorrow's Diet

In case you were on the edge of your seat about my 5-day sugar-free life:

Due to the success of the experiment, I was forced to cut it short by 1 1/4 days.

Basically, Saturday night happened and I wanted to drink a glass of wine and eat some homemade bread pudding that my sister made for family dinner. I also had drinking plans with girlfriends on Sunday. I will say that, much to my chagrin, I felt like I had a lot more energy on days two through almost-four. I wanted to be able to say I didn't feel a difference, and that I could keep eating sweets on a daily basis without any consequences (unless you count a fat ass/belly/thighs). Alas, I did feel a difference, but not one that was so drastic that I immediately changed my plans back to sugar-free after the weekend.

Today was the first say since I started the experiment that I had any sweets during the workday, however. I got 2 cookies from the Fresh Market and they were actually pretty crappy though of course I still ate them. I think I can make a complete prohibition on crappy sweets without feeling like I am missing something. I baked a 5-bowl cake over this past weekend, however, and it got snowy on Sunday evening so I didn't take it to my sister's house for apres-ski after all so of course I have been binging on that for the past few days. But at least it's delicious (though not delicious enough to have to wash 5 bowls after making it, if you ask me). 

I also learned that I can avoid sweets without nearly as much effort as I thought it would take. Days one and two were pretty easy. By the end of day three I kind of wanted to eat some dessert, but I was still dedicated to not lapsing already. So maybe my solution for sustainable change is to have 2-3 dessert-free days and then have some dessert in the evening. Because if I have it during the day I still want to have it at night. Though I could probably work on that with a little more focus. I could also probably just go to bed before I feel like eating dessert.

Finally, I confirmed what I already knew, that sugar is not addictive, people. I went from practically mainlining it for at least five months to having none for almost four days and if it were actually addictive then I would have been hospitalized in the detox unit. I want to eat more sugar when I eat sugar because it tastes good. There may be some pseudo-addiction in wanting more of something good, and if you're one of those people who sees sugar as something bad, then I guess I can understand what you're trying to say but I think you are really failing to say anything meaningful and important if you are comparing sugar to cocaine and heroin and the like. Bottom line, sugar is not a mind-altering substance. Unless, actually, you are talking about two-year-olds. Seriously, the kid goes crazy after eating cake for breakfast. I mean, with breakfast. I mean, it was Senior, not me! At least he said no this morning when Junior asked for ice cream. Maybe the whole family needs to go on the next sugar-free binge. Which starts, of course, tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment