Saturday, March 3, 2018

Firm Life. Still Doing It. Still Hating It.

So I quit that job with the long commute. Hooray!! I didn't fall asleep at the wheel or anything (thank goodness), but it got SO BAD once I went back after maternity leave. A new person was hired while I was out, and as a more experienced attorney, was given the task of "training" me. Like, from the ground up. As if I had never in my life had a job, let alone the fact that I had had THAT JOB for over a year and a half before she showed up.

Here's a tip: if you're going to tell me where to put a comma in an email, stop, then go fuck yourself. If you're going to require that I edit my work verbatim according to what you wish it said, and that includes using the word "expired" to describe someone who is dead, stop, then go fuck yourself.

If you're going to tell a woman that she doesn't deserve a (pro-rated!) bonus because "it was [her] choice to have a baby," stop, then go fuck yourself, and then go fuck yourself again. Check your watch, realize it is 20-fucking-18, then go fuck yourself again.

There were other times at that job, before maternity leave, when I really wished I could have left a note on my boss's desk and just never come back. But I had mouths to feed, so I had to deal until something better came along. I think I have some PTSD now.

Of course now that I have a new job I miss the old one. Just kidding. The new job is great! It's only 9 miles away (as opposed to 45)! It takes 25 minutes to get there (as opposed to 1:05+)! People treat me like an adult!

But it's hard, too. I am doing a lot of new things that I have never done before. I like this aspect, but it is challenging. I don't get out of the office much--that is the part I miss about the old job. At least the old job before maternity leave. We get to see each other's hours billed each month, and I kid you not, someone billed 232 hours in January. I thought I was right on target with 175. I was, technically, but I am competitive and that is just not good enough. There were only 19 billing days in February, but knock that down to 17 because I had the plague for 3 days (yep, worked for one of them), so now my goal is at least 200 for March to make up for the dismal 153 in February. Firm life. Still doing it. Still hating it. Just not as much. OK, the new job is good.

In other news...there is no other news. I work at a law firm and have three kids ages 5 and under. It's 9:30 on a Saturday night. I was supposed to be working for the past hour, but I started fucking around on the computer and blogging, etc., so now I will be working until 11pm. I promised myself I would take Sunday off. Does anything NEED to get done TODAY? No, of course not. But 200 hours.

I AM bitter. Not as bitter as I probably sound. I actually DO get out to do things like play pickleball (don't knock it until you've tried it!) on Sundays and go to bar trivia on Thursdays with Senior. But I would kill for a 9-5.

OK, I only have 4.5 hours on my timesheet for today. One point five more to go...

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't do your job. Seriously props to you mom-ing and lawyer-ing and not losing your mind (it seems ;) )

    ReplyDelete