Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Introducing Mrs. Smug

Not I. No, no, I have been humbled way too many times by an older toddler to be smug about my parenting choices and abilities.

I was admiring the adorable little blond boy at Cosi today while waiting for my lunch. We was probably almost two. He sat in his high chair at the table and just sat there. Looked around. There was no food in front of him. No toys. No screen. He sat there. Didn't scream or yell. Didn't squirm. His mother was also blonde with a perfect updo, a fine-featured, beautiful face and she too sat at the table with quite a bit of poise. Then I realized that I knew the other women at the table--my dad's cousin and her mother. I went over to say hello and was introduced to the beautiful, poised woman and her beautiful child. I commented on well he was doing. The cousin told her daughter-in-law (the beautiful, poised woman) that I had two sons and how old they are. I said they would never sit there like this. Beautiful, poised woman looked at me calmly, with a slightly confused expression and said, "they wouldn't?" and slightly nodded while slightly tilting her head. Cue the arrival of the food--thank god! perfect timing!--and I, gracefully, I might add, excused myself.

I wanted to scream at her: IT'S NOT YOUR PARENTING!!! IT'S NOT YOU, IT'S YOUR KID!!! JUST WAIT UNTIL YOU HAVE ANOTHER ONE!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment