Tuesday, November 3, 2015

More Lawyer, Less Mom

There's about to be a lot more lawyering in my life. I got a new job!!!!!! Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm just not even going to talk about how many resumes I sent out. How many times I heard absolutely nothing back, even after interviewing at one place. (Is that normal?) Funny that now that I am going to be doing more (good), I am suddenly ambivalent about having to do more. I will no longer be begging for work, at least I hope that will be the case. I am also adding a substantial commute to my routine, so I am a little worried about that. My new boss said I could telecommute one day a week straight away, with the opportunity to do that two or even more days per week depending on what's going on and how seamlessly I can work remotely.

I gave my two weeks notice and my current boss took the news in stride, shall we say? I have been talking to him about looking for a new job, so it really wasn't a surprise. Also when I asked for a big raise, like huge raise, because that would be market competitive, they came back with "no." Not, "no, but here's $2000." Just no. But another reason I had to leave was that there was no plan for me. After three and a half years I was still doing the same thing, with no increased responsibility and no plan for giving me more responsibility. So this new gig will be great. I am getting that huge salary increase that I wanted and getting into a "better" practice area where I can do more. I just hope I'm really ready to focus on career.

Because in the mommying department, nothing is new. Just trying to cope with having a three-year-old and figuring out the developing personality of LJ, who is--no joke--starting to throw little tantrums of his own. We've been getting it on and I suppose I have just entered two-week-wait time, but I have low hopes and frankly it will be OK if/when I'm not pregnant this month. See above.

'Til next time...

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I am a mom with a career myself and it is tough to juggle- but it is SO rewarding to like your job and find fulfillment in it. I work from home 2 days a week and it makes my (terrible) commute worth it.
    Hope the new place has a good work load and they are paying you fairly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, I think it will be really good. I'm also excited about having two weeks off in between jobs, so I will (should, haha) be refreshed.

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad to hear this! Congrats on the new job--I'm glad it's such a positive move for you. Even though I'm not someone who likes to drive, I find that I actually don't mind my commute. Some days, it's the only time all day that I'm actually by myself and I can zone out or listen to podcasts or listen to an audio book or sing along with Taylor Swift... There are worst ways to spend 30-60 minutes a day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the words of encouragement. It's funny, I've found recently that when I'm done with my day I often spend another 20-30 minutes "getting organized" for the next day--or whatever--instead of leaving work. Maybe it won't be so bad. I also heard there is a library app to listen to audio books. :) Speaking of books--have you read My Name Is Mary Sutter? I didn't love every moment of it, but couldn't put it down most of the time.

      Delete